Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Goodbye scorching sun, hello clouds

Can I say how thankful I am for the wonderful clouds and cool breezes that have brought the temperature down from last week's highs?

After a week of record-breaking temps (Wednesday it got to 103ÂșC -the hottest temperature ever recorded in Seattle), it has finally cooled down. Though I'm happy for the dramatic change, I will admit the hot weather made for some great memories. Some of my favorites are:

-Days at the lake swimming

-Bronwen and Ava camped out in our room. We made a nest for them on the floor all week because our bedroom was the only one with air-conditioning. I know I may be chastised for saying this, but I think it's cozy when the kids sleep in the same room as us -at least for now ;-)

-8 pm cool-down baths. I can still hear the girls laughing and squealing each time Conrad sprayed them with cold water

-Not feeling at all guilty for spending money to go out to dinner (turning on the oven when the house was literally in the 90s would have been crazy), go to the mall, go to the movies, go to Starbucks, go to basically anywhere with air-conditioning to avoid going back to our house that I lovingly dubbed "The Furnace"

And, basically just surviving the week. The weather did make my nausea come back, and with it, swelling in my hands and feet, and Conrad and I got virtually no sleep. But, surprisingly I think we're tougher because of it. Some friends went to a hotel to cool down, but I'm proud of us for staying strong. It's nice to know you can make it through anything with your best friend by your side. It seems like for us, the hard times usually make the best memories.

I do have one question though...How did I survive summers in Albuquerque? Lol!

2 comments:

Molly said...

I'm sure you had AC in Albequerque, right? It really does make all the difference though. Seems like you guys had a lot of fun surviving the hot weather. I grew up in Oregon with central air and have alwasy had it here, I don't know what I would do if I moved somewhere without it!

Darin said...

You probably shouldn't come over the mountains to the east side then! But I have thoroughly loved the heat this summer. It actually feels like summer(plus we have AC!)I did love the thunderstorms in Denver just not every day. Hope your feet have returned to normal size!