Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Latest Home Projects

Conrad thought he was in the clear of home projects when we moved from ABQ because it put physical distance between me and my great friend, Fotini. See, what would happen is that I would go to Fotini's house, get inspired by something she had done, then come back to ours and want to 1) plant; 2) paint; 3) buy furniture.

Well, the projects have begun; I met my wonderful new friend and neighbor, Cami. Hee-hee! Cami is an artist, and likes colors. We went to her and her husband's house for dinner on Saturday, and inevitably two projects were born.

Project One, THE ISLAND
On Monday and Tuesday I stripped, sanded, primed and painted our kitchen island red. A vast improvement from it's earlier state (CORK BOARD on the back, stainless steel metal plates on the bottom of each leg, and an overall white and brown color combo). It was functional so I didn't want to get rid of it, but it just looked awful. It's like the old owners tried to buy an island that matched the cabinets, but they couldn't quite get it right...then the back of the island was originally white but they glued squares of cork board on the back (were they trying to camouflage the white with the cork board so it would look brown??). Anyway, I'm much happier with the new look. Now the floor... :-)

Project Two, Painting something for Bronwen and Ava in their rooms
Cami painted at beautiful ocean/beach scenery for her daughter in her room. I wasn't quite brave enough to paint on their walls, so I settled for their doors instead. Ava's is Silvermist, and Bronwen's is Tinkerbell. The girls got huge smiles on their faces when they saw the finished products, which made me feel like a queen.





My thoughts are if you're thinking about doing something bold in your house, go for it! You can always repaint/repair if it doesn't turn out, and it's so much fun!

2 comments:

Courtney Laine Carris said...

As I saw last night in person the island looks wonderful and the door are so much fun! I'll have you painting on your walls before you know it! What fun we will have!!! ~Cami

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I didn't know you were an artist. Both projects look absolutely wonderful!