Wednesday, September 24, 2008

If you don't do it this year, you'll be a year older when you do.






This quote got to me today for a couple of reasons. The first is because it's Conrad's birthday. The pictures highlight the girls and me getting the house ready for Dad (sadly Bronwen has inherited my OCD for cleaning), the party, and some of Bronwen and Ava just loving life.


After cake I asked Conrad if he accomplished everything he wanted to for the year. "Yeah, pretty much everything." We got the house sold and finally moved to WA, he's making ground at work, and basically everything else is good. That got me thinking about myself. Will I accomplish what I want? The truth is, I'm not really sure what I want, and the cool part is that I get it's okay.


As many of you know, I was a chemist at Sandia National Labs for seven years. Work was very rewarding. I generated results, won awards, and truly loved my job. I figured with my background I would easily get hired on somewhere up in Seattle. I'm now near month four. The funny thing is the more I stay at home, the more I go from being depressed and not really knowing what I should do with my life (go back to school to change professions? stay at home and have more babies? keep flooding the job market?) to being deliriously happy. Love fills my heart to be the person Bronwen and Ava run to when they get hurt. It's rewarding to see the results of teaching them (Bronwen is starting to read/write, and Ava is matching sounds to letters to begin sounding them out). The love is almost palpable in the house because we're together all the time and relaxed.


Anyway, my take away is screw worrying about the timeline, as long as the interim is good.

1 comment:

Stacey B. said...

You know, I think that is everyone's struggle, to really wonder what you should be doing. A wise friend reminded me today that life is about the journey, not the destination. I know that is so cliche, but your kids will remember you being home with them. At the end of your life, you won't be wishing you'd spent more time at work. Am I right? Being home all day brings its own challenges (don't I know it!) but what a blessing too!