Sunday, September 14, 2008

Honest Critics

Two people who weigh under 40 pounds aren't afraid to put me in my place (and I'm their lifeblood!).

Latest Episode:
Bronwen, Ava and I went up to OR again to visit my family. The weather was gorgeous on Thursday, so we took advantage and went swimming. After living in NM for so many years and seeing the effects of too much sun exposure (think cataracts at 40 yrs old, friends with skin cancer, women who look like human shammies), Conrad and I are pretty vigilant when it comes to sun protection. Nonetheless, the girls got a little bit of a tan, which made their skin look beautiful. I commented to Conrad, "Look how beautiful their skin is. It's like peaches and cream." Bronwen then looked at me, smiled, then said, "But yours doesn't." I was laughing so hard I could barely read the book she brought me.

Early Summer Episode:
When we first moved to our house I missed the highway exit twice to get back home. Finally on the third try, success! I was so excited I started yelling, "Yahoo! Your momma is so smart, we did it! Hooray!" Instead of joining me in celebration, Ava looks at me seriously, "Momma, you're not a cowboy." Ha!

American Idol Episode:
What can I say, but I love American Idol. It's entertaining, and one of few shows that Conrad and I can watch with the girls in the room. During the tryouts, a girl sang The Power of Love (by Celine Dion). Bronwen was pretty quiet during the audition. Afterward, she looked at me and asked, "Momma, do you know how to sing that song?" I said, "Yeah!" then proceeded to sing a verse. It was a beautiful moment. Bronwen and I had our eyes locked. She looked mesmerized by my voice. When I finished singing the song, I foolishly asked her, "Do you like that song?" She said, "No." I felt about 10 inches tall.

Well, at least I know who to turn to when I want an honest opinion.

No comments: