Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Big Girl is Five!












My beautiful girl turned five today. I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. We had had my baby shower a week earlier, and even though she wasn't due for another four weeks, I was busy washing all of her little baby clothes and blankets. Conrad wondered why I was getting things ready so soon, but I knew she was coming. Sure enough a few days later I woke up at 2am with my water breaking. I hurried and packed my bag, showered, blow-dried my hair, made Conrad take a shower because, "labor could take all day," then finally left for the hospital. By the time we got there (it was only 1.5 hrs later), I was having contractions four minutes apart and was in some serious pain. An hour later the doctor checked me and said, "The bad news is that it is too late for any pain medication. The good news is that your baby will be here in less than an hour." Half an hour later, Bronwen Clara Douglas was born. I cried when I held her -our miracle was here!

Conrad and I had tried to have a baby for two years, and finally resorted to invitro fertilization. We were lucky that things took on the first try. As a side note we were given a <1% chance of ever conceiving naturally. I like to believe Bronwen is responsible for kick-starting the process as I am now pregnant with our third baby (naturally!). She really must have wanted siblings... :-)

Here are some pictures from her birthday party. I'd like to say thank you and I love you to my wonderful girlfriends. Bronwen had a wonderful time (and I did too!).



I love you my "Pocket Buddy" and happy birthday!

4 comments:

Courtney Laine Carris said...

I hope Bronwen had a fun party. I'm so glad I got to come!! It was the very first little birthday party I've ever been to.
~Court

Molly said...

Happy Birthday Bronwen! She is a doll. Isn't it amazing how fast 5 years can go? I'm so happy for you that you are now pregnant with your 3rd! Being able to have children is truly an amazing experience isn't it?

Jana said...

Being a mom is the best....and the whole miracle of child birth...like Molly said is an amazing experience!

Happy Birthday Bronwen!

Stacey B. said...

I'm glad we were able to come too! We had a great time and the kids loved seeing their friends. We are now moved into our new house, so you guys have to come down soon...although I'm seriously losing motivation to continue unpacking. You may still see boxes laying around! But I only have 7 weeks before this little girl will make an appearance (4 weeks early sounds pretty great to me!). Love you guys!