Monday, October 20, 2008

Trust your instinct

About two years ago I went to the dermatologist to get a couple of moles removed -one on my hip, and one on my nose. The one on my hip I wasn't worried about because it had been there for decades. It was along my pant line, therefore sometimes got irritated, and it seemed like with each pregnancy, it got bigger. The doctor removed that one without question. When I asked about the one on my nose, it was a different story. She hemmed and hawed, and said it was fine (even though it magically appeared), and that, "The scar would look worse than the bump." I listened to her and left it.

After looking at that stupid mole for two years though, I decided to go to a new dermatologist to get it removed once and for all. He looked at it, said it was probably fine, but he would shave the top off and examine. I got the results today -Basal Cell Carcinoma.

It sounds scary, but it really isn't too bad (especially in terms of getting a cancer). It is the most common type of skin cancer, doesn't metastasize, and is the easiest to treat. On the 29th they're going to go in and remove the rest of it, put in 1-2 stitches, and that'll be the end.

Thank goodness for my current doctor who removed it without questioning me. I regret that I didn't get this taken care of the first time around because I was embarrassed and didn't want to question the other doctor. I should've trusted my instinct!

No comments: