Sunday, October 9, 2011

Whatever happened to the "I" in "I love you?"

Over the last year I've noticed an increase in the trend of people writing "love you." As I've used this phrase frequently on facebook to many of my friends, it's never bothered me until recently. More and more I've noticed it creeping its way into families, or to the opposite extreme, to casual acquaintances. The last straw was when it was bed time and the girls were saying their goodnights to us, and Conrad told them, "Love you." I wanted to scream out, "The 'I!' Don't forget the I!" (I believe I did say something about it too, lol.)

I know it's just a letter, a small word, but it is the most important part of "I love you." It's what gives those words meaning. To me, when you say that to a person, you're telling them, "Out of the whole world, you are loved by ME." That's what makes it special. I mean, imagine how dumb that Valentine mug would look if it just said, "love you...love you...love you..." haha, you get the idea.

I understand "love you" is a way to casually let somebody know you really care about them, or that they're special to you (What's wrong with writing just that??), or maybe people write it because they're afraid of rejection, but from now on I vow to include the "I."

If I'm bold enough to say it, I need to be brave enough to say it completely.


No comments: