Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Getting Older

For the last two weeks I'd been very aware of my upcoming birthday. I was reminded each time I hopped on the treadmill & was prompted to type in my age. "Only 2 more weeks to type in 31." "Only 1 more week to type in 31." "My birthday is tomorrow, I my as well type in 32. Scratch that, I'm still 31..." You know what though, I was ready. I have been the happiest in my 30's & am content with getting older. I look at my three girls, my husband of almost 10 years, the calm in my life...it is nice to move forward with a foundation behind me. It seems like people get so freaked out about getting older, focusing on the physical changes, worrying about the goals or milestones they haven't reached, that they forget about the blessing it is to be alive.

Before the weekend, one of Conrad's coworkers, who had just finished aggressive treatment for Stage 4 thyroid cancer, went in for her check-up & found out everything is back. Her last day was on Friday & she is going to move back to Hawaii to spend the rest of her time there with her family [Upon learning of her situation T-mobile has allowed her to stay on the books so she may still receive her salary & benefits.] She is only 47. It is a blessing to get older.

1 comment:

Caleb and Julie Barnes said...

LOVE this post. :) Do you realize we met like half our life ago??? I am so thankful for you!