Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Bedroom: No fun project goes unpunished!

"Why on earth did I want to redo Cate's bedroom when we have the house on the market?" I asked myself this question each time, six times (one per iteration) until I was finally satisfied with the finished look.

Before Cate was born, her bedroom was our beautiful, spacious guest-room, equipped with my treadmill. Introduce Cate's crib, the room looked like the spot where we stored everything. Funny how one piece of furniture threw off the feel of the room. I felt bad for Cate, so I wanted to fix it. This is when the circus began. ;-)

Iteration 1: "I'll paint a beige accent wall, behind the headboard." I went to Lowe's with the intent of buying said paint, and I don't know if I 1) had a stroke; 2) aliens invaded my body or 3) went color-blind because somehow I came out with mauve paint. This was the result:


Iteration 2: "I'll paint an off-white stripe across the wall to break up the mauve." Conrad came home (yes, I do my projects secretly while he's at work so he can't stop and reason with me!). His words, "I don't get the stripe. It reminds me of a racing stripe." I laughed with my girlfriend later on. "Ya, that was the theme for the house -Nascar." Hmm, "Maybe I should have attached some cars to the stripe." Haha!

Iteration 3: "I'll add small chocolate-colored stripes on either side of the off-white to warm it up. And while I'm at it, I'll have some fun with vinyl and buy a chocolate-colored blanket." Results, good, until I hang up the silver artwork above the headboard. Yikes!

Iteration 4: "I'll rope in Bronwen and Ava and we'll spray paint the artwork pink, and paint the borders chocolate." The darn pink doesn't match the mauve!!! Agh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iteration 5: "I'll spray paint it brownish/bronze." It looked silver! Agh!!!!!!!



Iteration 6: "I'll just repaint the borders chocolate again." Finally, success! I know the mauve is a little out there for some people's taste, but I actually like the look.

My rule of thumb that each of my projects involves a minimum of 4 trips to Lowe's, and several tries before I get it just right. It's so fun though!

1 comment:

Stacey B. said...

You are too funny. That's exactly what happens in my head when I am trying to decorate a room. I'll try this, but then it doesn't match with that, so I have to change it all! I think the stripe looks great! Good job. Racing stripe... that's awesome.