Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Be There for Family and Friends

Last week my sister, Bianca, texted me, asking if I wanted to go to her college graduation. This amazing lady finished her BS in 3.5 years (in December), and decided she wanted to attend the Spring ceremony. At first I texted back, "no," because Bronwen had assessments the following week, and the trip would require her to miss school on Monday. The more I thought about it though, my heart sank. I kept thinking to myself, if you can't count on your family to support and represent you, who can you count on? Suddenly I thought, "This is crazy -I'm not going to miss her graduation! Surely I can make arrangements." And, so I did (Bronwen's teacher postponed her testing to Tuesday).

As soon as I found out we could go, I called up Bianca and said, "Are you sure you can get more tickets?!" She was sooo happy, and I was so happy! The girls and I went, and even with three kids under the age of 6, we had a great time during the ceremony, and an even better time at the barbeque. Best of all, we didn't miss out!

The thing is, we are all busy, and can always come up with an excuse as to why we can't be at one function, either for family or friends, or the other. The sad part is that when we don't go, we miss out. We miss out on the fun and on the opportunity to really be there for the ones we love. This is especially sad when it's for brothers and sisters. I mean I look at my little girls who are the best of friends, and think it would break my heart if they weren't there for each other as adults. So, my challenge to everyone who reads this is to find every reason to try and be there for your friends and family instead of every excuse as to why you can't. Trust me, you'll be happy you did!

I love you Bianca, and thank you for inviting us (and thank you, Dad, for listening to the nonstop baby crying on the way back haha)!

No comments: