Tuesday, January 12, 2010

And then there were five






Our beautiful new addition has arrived! Cate Lucia Douglas came into the world on 01/11/10 at 3:11 in the morning. She weighed 6 lbs, 12 oz, and was 18.5 inches long. Once again we barely made it to the hospital. We knew with my history of fast labors it would be quick, but Cate sure did take the cake. Labor was only 40 minutes. When we got to the hospital (in 15 min), I was already 10 cm dilated. Yikes! At least the process was quick and we're all doing great! Also, the girls got to see their sister come into the world (we knew there'd be no time to wait for someone to come and watch them, or for us to drop them off).

Conrad and I are in awe over how beautiful she is and couldn't be happier with another baby. Hmm...did we say we'd stop at 3? ;-) Bronwen and Ava are in love with their little sister and are already great helpers.

Some surprising things...Bronwen has really changed with her new role in only a day. It is amazing to see her with Cate. She loves nothing more than to cuddle Cate (which Cate loves to do!) and help take care of her. "Mom, I think Cate is hungry." "Mom, can I help change her diaper? Only if it's not poop though." "Mom, I burped Cate." Ava is definitely in a more enamored state. "Awww, her ears are so tiny." "Can I put Cate's hat on her?" "Cate is so cute." I think she thinks of Cate more like a real doll. :-)

Conrad and I are doing really well too. We're remembering to take it easy on one another (yes, it's only been 4 years since Ava was born, but there's still something about a newborn's cry that makes you hop to it!), and to enjoy this precious time. As we've seen, babies grow so fast. Cate does make it easy to enjoy her though, as she is pretty cute!

Thank you for all of the well-wishes from family and friends who have come together to celebrate with us, and to offer help.

Love you all,

Conrad, Michelle, Bronwen, Ava and Cate

3 comments:

Kelly Jones said...

Congratulations! You have such a beautiful family. Enjoy you time with the little one, as you know they grow way too fast.

HUGS!
Kelly

Molly said...

Congrats!!! 40 minutes? That is amazing! I think my shortest was Zac and that was about 16 hours, 12 of which were in the hospital! I am amazed by fast labors and I am so happy you made it to the hospital! That is awesome that the girls got to see their sister being born. I noticed in the some of the pics they were in PJ's and I was wondering if they were there, very exciting! I can't wait to see more pictures as she grows. I love her hair. My sisters and I all had hair like that. All of my neices and nephews have been born with hair like that, if not more. My kids - barely any hair, it's so unfair!

Darin said...

AH Michelle she is so sweet. I love that head of hair! I'm glad everything went well and you made it to the hospital in time! What an awesome thing for you to all be together for such a miracle. Congratulations!